All students and parents are expected to review the Dress Code in the Lee County Student Handbook for High Schools. Specifically, the administration at Smiths Station High School will place an emphasis on the following expectations:
1. All students should be clean, neat, and practice good hygiene each day.
2. Shorts, skorts, and skirts are allowed with the following guidelines:
- No shorter than 2" inches above the knee.
- The following types of shorts are unacceptable dress (students will be sent home to change with an unexcused absence from classes missed): short shorts; cut-off sweats; bicycle shorts; unhemmed, raveled or frayed cut-off jeans.
- Common sense is the best rule in choosing acceptable shorts. If you think shorts may be unacceptable, then they probably will be. Shorts will be allowed only as long as the student body complies with the guidelines.
3. Hats, caps, visors, toboggans, bandannas, headbands, knitted caps, or any other type of head covering MAY NOT BE WORN at Smiths Station High School during the school day. These items will be confiscated immediately by an Administrator or faculty member.
4. Pants should be neat and mended, with no holes ABOVE the knee.
5. No leggings or tights may be worn as outer garments. If leggings or tights are worn under shorts or skirts, the shorts/skirts must meet the required length.
6. Blouses must have a sleeve. Spaghetti straps are PROHIBITED.
7. Slits in skirts or dresses may extend no higher than five (5) inches above the kneecap.
8. The administration reserves the right to determine proper dress and take necessary action at his/her discretion.